Thursday, March 15, 2018

CD Review:
Some Girls
"All My Friends Are Going Death"
(Deathwish Inc.)
[Deathwish Inc. 10/$10 #01]


Copy & Paste Intro: One thing we at Raised by Gypsies love is a good deal.   Deathwish Inc. offered up ten compact discs for ten dollars and I could't help but jump on it.   I have received promos from Deathwish Inc. in the past, but between moving and just life in general I'm not sure how many I still have- the only CD I can tell you I still have for certain is by The Dedication.   So take a trip with me, shall you, as I explore ten compact discs for ten dollars.


The reason why I chose to start with this Some Girls CD is because I actually used to get promo CDs from Deathwish back in the day and this was one of them.    At the time (late 90's/early 00's) Daughters, Some Girls and Sex Positions changed the way I thought about hardcore music.   This is just so... it's so much in your face, so unrelenting.  Usually, hardcore bands would have breakdowns or slower sing-along songs maybe but when I first heard Some Girls I fell in love and never wanted to hear anything less brutal than this again.

In the fourteen years since "All My Friends Are Going Death" was released (Wow!) I feel like not only have I changed a lot but music has changed as well.   Where are the bands who were to step up and take the place of Some Girls?  The ones who would be influenced by this music and keep the scene alive?  Why did hardcore music go the way of Hot Topic and have breakdowns with melodies and singing?  I honestly fell out of the hardcore scene a few years after this album was released because more music became "screamo" and "emocore" than, well, like Some Girls.

I think the worst thing about Some Girls (which they have no control over, obviously) is that this album and band on the whole didn't have more of an influence on music all these years later.   I wish I was listening to more bands and thinking "Yeah, this sounds like Some Girls.  Right on!"   But so much hardcore music still sounds like bands I would rather prefer it did not.    You can call Some Girls a "super group" and looking at the members of it now it definitely was-- but even back then it was a "super group" because when I first heard this I had heard of The Locust and American Nightmare.    (I think it was one of the selling points from the publicist as well.  I want to say her name was Maria or Marissa?)

My original version of this came in a plastic sleeve- no jewel case- and I thought the image from Bandcamp (Which I am using as the main image up top on this review) was the cover but now it appears as if there is a different cover.    [Editor's Note: From what I can gather the Bandcamp photo is a slip case cover while the CD no longer comes with a slip case] One day I'd like to own this on record along with a lot of the other albums from my past that I feel just cannot be topped.   This CD itself is worth the $10 price tag I paid for ten compact discs and that's coming from someone who already has this CD (probably; I don't know.  I thought about looking for it but my CD collection is such a mess)

        Though I mentioned how straight forward the songs of Some Girls are, they do cover The Stooges "No Fun", which is a great sing-along punk song.   While it feels somewhat odd to me knowing that I reviewed this album once before I do feel like it still remains as important to me now as it did back then.  It has certainly withstood the test of time and yet still feels ahead of its time.  When will the rest of the world of music catch up with it?  Will it ever?  That's up to the musicians, not me, but in some ways I don't know that anyone really can nor would I want them to either.  I struggle for a scene like this existed in to return, but at the same time, I know why it never can.


Bandcamp ::: https://deathwishinc.bandcamp.com/album/all-my-friends-are-going-death
10 for $10 Deal ::: https://deathwishinc.com/products/10-for-10-cd-deal
Official Deathwish Store Link ::: https://deathwishinc.com/products/some-girls-all-my-friends-are-going-death






No comments:

Post a Comment